You aren't alone. Many people across the UK are affected by a loved one's drinking. 

If you are worried about a friend or family member's drinking, you should talk to someone about it. The first place to start might be your GP, or an alcohol service near you.

Someone might need help if:

  • They are unable to control the amount they drink

  • Their behaviour changes because of their drinking

  • Their drinking is causing problems in everyday life

Supporting them

Some of the ways they can seek support can be found in this blog.

Support for you

But there is also support available to you as a friend or family member: harmful drinking can cause significant issues not only for the alcohol user, but also members of their family. If you are affected by someone else's drinking you need and deserve support.

Find out about the support available to you here

Thank you Dry January!

As you probably know by now, Dry January is run by the charity Alcohol Concern. We work all year round to reduce the harms that alcohol can cause, by doing research, campaigning and offering support.

Do you feel better after Dry January? Or is all that cash you saved not drinking burning a hole in your pocket? Anything you donate, big or small, helps us work to save and improve lives.

Donate now.

Why Alcohol Concern?

Every hour, someone in the UK dies as a result of alcohol. And it’s not just those who drink too much who suffer; alcohol is a factor in 1 in 5 of children in need of social care in England, and costs the NHS an estimated £3.5 billion each year. Find out more here.