Listed below are agencies and organisations that provide help, information or support.

Drinkline is the national, free, information and advice line for people with alcohol problems and anyone concerned about alcohol misuse.  Drinkline provides advice on sensible drinking and information on services to help problem drinkers: 0300 123 1110

  • Adfam – national organisation working with and for families affected by drugs and alcohol.
  • Al-Anon Family Groups – provide support to anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else’s drinking.
  • Alcohol and Families – supporting families where parents misuse alcohol - a website set up to support professionals working with children and their parents in the health, education and social sector.
  • Alcohol Education and Research Council – aims to generate and disseminate research based evidence to inform and influence policy and practice; and develop the capacity of people and organisations to address alcohol issues.
  • Alcohol Focus Scotland – Scottish charity aiming to raise awareness of, and reduce the significant health and social harm caused by alcohol.
  • Alcohol Learning Centre - up until March 2011, the ALC provided online resources and learning for commissioners, planners and practitioners working to reduce alcohol-related harm.  Despite the fact that the site is not now being updated it still holds useful information.
  • Alcoholics Anonymous – national office supporting a network of local Alcoholics Anonymous groups. Groups are formed by voluntary fellowships of men and women who are alcoholics and who help each other to achieve and maintain sobriety by sharing experiences and giving mutual support on a regular basis.
  • Balance - funded by North East Primary Care Trusts, the Department of Health, the Home Office and local Police forces, Balance provides alcohol misuse information, advice and support in the north-east of England.
  • British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy – produces an online directory of counselling resources in the UK.
  • Campaign Against Drinking and Driving – provides support for the families of people killed and injured by drunk or drugged motorists.
  • ChildLine is the UK's free and confidential, 24-hour helpline for children in distress or danger: 0800 1111.
  • Cruse Bereavement Care – exists to promote the well-being of bereaved people and to enable anyone bereaved by death to understand their grief and cope with their loss.
  • Derby Alcohol - is a website about your relationship with alcohol and how it affects you.
  • Drinkaware Trust – supported by voluntary donations from across the drink’s industry, Drinkaware works with the drinks companies and retailers to help tackle alcohol misuse and provides information to the public about responsible drinking.
  • Drinkline – national, free, information and advice line for people with alcohol problems and anyone concerned about alcohol misuse: 0300 123 1110.
  • Drug and Alcohol Findings - is a project that bridges the divide between research on the effectiveness of responses to drug and alcohol problems and the practitioners who provide those interventions, with a focus on UK-relevant research.
  • DrugScope – UK centre of information and expertise on drugs.  Aims to inform policy development and reduce drug-related harms.
  • Federation of Drug and Alcohol Professionals – the professional body for the substance use field and works to help improve standards of practice across the sector.
  • Hope UK – Christian charity which works within church networks, but also spends at least 50% of its time and resources helping other voluntary and faith groups as well as schools.  Offers drug (and alcohol) awareness sessions for children, young people and their parents.
  • HubCAPP – the Hub of Commissioned Alcohol Projects and Policies is an online resource of local alcohol initiatives throughout England.  The Hub has a particular focus on capturing the policies, decisions and strategic history that enable projects to come into existence. HubCAPP is now managed by the Alcohol Learning Centre.
  • Institute of Alcohol Studies – independent organisation with the broad aim of increasing awareness of alcohol-related issues.  Aims to bridge the gap between the scientific evidence on alcohol and the wider public.
  • LDAN – a membership network for drug and alcohol agencies in London.
  • The Medical Council on Alcohol – a charity primarily of medical practitioners and with associated medical practitioners concerned with the effects of alcoholic excess on health; seeks to ensure that medical students are suitably aware of the risks associated with alcohol both on their practice and their own health.
  • National Association for Children of Alcoholics – helpline providing information, advice and support for children of alcoholics and those concerned with their welfare: 0800 358 3456.
  • National Domestic Violence Helpline – 24 hour helpline for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf. Freephone: 0808 2000 247.
  • National Organisation on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome – committed to eliminating birth defects caused by alcohol consumption during pregnancy.
  • National Treatment Agency – established by the government in 2001 to improve the availability, capacity and effectiveness of treatment for drug misuse in England.  From April 2008 the NTA (through the National Alcohol Treatment Monitoring System) began to collect data on specialist alcohol treatment services.
  • North East Regional Alcohol Forum – independent peer support charity established to provide long term aftercare and support to those affected by alcohol misuse.
  • NHS Direct – national helpline providing healthcare advice and information for the public. Callers can speak directly to experienced nurses who answer worries or questions on health care: 0845 4647. 
  • NHS Choices – information and advice on alcohol.
  • NSPCC – national 24-hour helpline for anyone concerned about a child at risk of abuse, including children themselves. Counselling, information and advice from qualified social workers. Can make referrals to social services, the police or local NSPCC teams: 0808 800 5000.
  • RAPt – Rehabilitation for Addicted Prisoners Trust – aims to bring about a reduction in crime and destructive behaviour and promote healthier communities and families, by helping people recover from substance misuse and addiction.
  • Relate – co-ordinates Relate centres in England, Wales and Northern Ireland offering support to people with relationship difficulties.
  • Parentline Plus – 24-hour freephone helpline for anyone involved in caring for children. Listening, support, information and guidance on all issues of concern to parents: 0808 800 2222.
  • Refuge – runs a network of safe houses provides emergency accommodation for women and children when they are most in need.  Also helps run the National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247.
  • Salvation Army – national charity providing a range of services across the UK, including hostels for homeless people, drug and alcohol services and some detox services.
  • Samaritans – 24-hour helpline offering emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide: 08457 90 90 90.
  • Shelter – national organisation campaigns on housing issues for people who are homeless or badly housed. Undertakes research on housing issues and lobbies Parliament. Legal unit for housing advice. Network of Housing Aid Centres provide advice and advocacy services for people with housing problems.
  • Soberistas -- A web forum where you can meet and talk to people who are trying to resolve their problematic drinking patterns, and people who have successfully kicked the booze.
  • SMART Recovery UK – aims to develop a UK wide network of meetings run by volunteers who have first -hand experience of addiction.  
  • Victim Support – national charity for victims of crime. Local schemes offer information and support to victims of crime, witnesses, their families and friends, whether or not it has been reported and regardless of when it happened.
  • Westminster Drug Project – charity providing advice, support and treatment to those affected by drug and alcohol use in London and the south east.
  • Women's Aid – national charity working to end domestic violence against women and children. Supports a network of over 500 domestic and sexual violence services across the UK.  Helps run the National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247.
Local alcohol services

How to find local alcohol services in your area