Resources & statistics
Alcohol misuse spans many different agencies and government departments - including health, crime and leisure. Listed in this section are a number of key organisations and resources providing information and statistics on alcohol-related harm.
- Alcohol Learning Centre - up until March 2011, the ALC provided online resources and learning for commissioners, planners and practitioners working to reduce alcohol-related harm. Despite the fact that the site is not now being updated it still holds useful information.
- Department of Health - responsible for government health policy on alcohol misuse.
- DirectGov - provides consumer information on licensing laws, and alcohol, young people and the law,
- The Home Office provides:
- NHS Choices - alcohol section.
- Health Information Resources (formerly National Library for Health).
- NICE - National Institute for Clinical Evidence responsible for providing national guidance on promoting good health and preventing and treating ill health.
- National Treatment Agency - from 1 April 2008 all providers of specialist alcohol treatment were asked to submit data to the National Drug Treatment Monitoring System (NDTMS) on clients receiving treatement for alcohol misuses. This data is available from the NDTMS web-portal.
- For links to agencies and organisations that provide help, information or support, please see our 'other websites' listing.
- The Alcohol Learning Centre provides a summary of where to find data relating to alcohol-related health harms. This site is no longer being systematically updated but still provides some useful information.
- The North West Public Health Observatory and the Centre for Public Health produce data on alcohol-related harms for every local authority in England.
- The Association of Public Health Observatories produces Health Profiles - the Department of Health's programme to improve availability and accessibility to heath and health-related information in England. They give a snapshot overview of health for each local authority in England. Access health profiles for 2011.
- The NHS Information Centre produces Alcohol statistics 2011 - England.
- The Office for National Statistics publishes the General Lifestyle Survey containing a section on alcohol.Smoking, drinking and drug use among young people in England is published by The NHS Information Centre.
- Hospital Episode Statistics are produced by HES OnlineThe National Treatment Agency produces data on substance misuse among young people and treatment data.